Welcome to Hummel Croton Inc.
Hummel Croton Inc. is a privately owned corporation that manufactures and distributes specialty inorganic and organic chemicals. Hummel Croton counts among its customers those in the fields of aerospace, automotive (air-bags), electronics, flame-retardants, metal processing, ordnance, pharmaceuticals, pollution controls, pyrotechnics, and textiles. Hummel Croton Inc was formed in 1989 with the merger of Hummel Chemical Company and Croton Chemical Company.
Hummel Chemical Company was founded In 1913 under a partnership of Mr. August Hummel and Mr. Robinson. Twenty years later Mr. Hummel acquired full control of the Company. The offices were on Cedar and West Streets in Lower Manhattan. The plant was located in Brooklyn. Mr. Hummel catered his business to the display fireworks industry. With the outbreak of World War II many of Mr. Hummel's display fireworks customers became ordnance manufacturers.
After World War II Mr. James Vreeland joined Hummel as sales manager and he continued to service customers in the firework and the ordnance industries. In 1961 Mr. Vreeland became principal owner and President of Hummel Chemical Company. In 1962 he moved the company to an industrial section of Newark, NJ. The company moved again in 1968 to a more spacious facility in South Plainfield, NJ where it is still situated today. In 1978 Mr. James Vreeland and B.F. Schoen acquired Croton Chemical Company from Allied Chemical Company. Croton Chemical Company operated separately until 1989 when B.F. Schoen merged the two companies forming Hummel Croton Inc. Also in 1989 B.F Schoen became President and CEO.
Under the direction of B.F. Schoen Hummel Croton has expanded its chemical manufacturing capabilities. They manufacture inorganic peroxides, melamine derivatives, salts of oxalic acid and specialty chemicals needed by the ordnance and specialty chemical industries. Hummel Croton Inc is still owned and operated by the Schoen Family.